Friday, August 1, 2014

Grace Upon Grace: The Move

What a whirlwind! It seemed like June was a relatively slow month and after the first week of July the weeks began to pass before I could blink. I worked two weeks at a local camp called Camp Invention and by the end of the Thursday (the last day), our precious friends Meg and Drew were already at our apartment ready with food and energy to help us pack our apartment (furniture only, this round). I was exhausted. Completely spent and I wasn't really doing any of the heavy lifting.



Thankfully, Chase had already picked up my Uncle Mac's truck in Floyd and we had traded out my car for my parents' Toyota Tacoma. So, we were ready with two trucks. The entire day, it seemed to rain on and off. At times it was pouring and then where there had once been clouds followed a nice blue sky.

Meg was with me as my home was taken apart. I laughed repeatedly at how badly and chaotic everything looked, but really it was hard to process it all as the only place Chase and I had ever called home together was slowly dismantled. Thank God for good friends and for the grace that he provides when we fail to remember to trust him!



A few laughs and hugs later, Chase drove Mac's truck away and I followed in my parents Tacoma. The entire time driving, my head and heart were racing with questions. "What does this feel like to know that I won't have a home until Kenya (and even after arrival that could take months)?" "What do the next two months hold?" "God, please help me trust you." A few minutes later, I prayed and thanked God for our friends Meg and Drew who had seen us off from Radford, our bellies and trucks about as full as they could be. Ten or so minutes later, my phone rings and it was our friend (and pastor of Forest Hills), Bradley. He called to say that he and Tim Coble would be waiting and ready to help us unload our trucks in Martinsville. When I hung up the phone, I thought about the fact that Meg and Drew didn't know Bradley or Tim. And yet, we were seen off by the Hubbards on our journey and would be welcomed by Tim and Bradley when we arrived home. God was providing people on one end of the journey just as he would provide them on the other side.

Chase and I driving the trucks from our previous destination to our new one seemed to represent the in between, the traveling, the journey itself as we walk hand in hand following this call. I know that God will be faithful. He always is. Many people on this side and season will not know the others on the next adventure and season, but God will always provide us with what and who we need. The glimpses of God's goodness and mercy are everywhere. God has shown us, once again, his grace upon grace.

"But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness." Psalm 85:15

Earlier summer picture with Meg & Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment